Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Who am I, and what do I believe? -Karleigh



Every person differs greatly in their beliefs whether they are religious or moral.   I think that teenager’s beliefs often stem from their parent’s beliefs or experiences.  As an eighteen year old about to graduate from High School, I have been considering my personal beliefs.  When asked, “What do I believe?”, a million thoughts come to mind.  Where do I even start? The core of my beliefs is centered on what I have been taught throughout my childhood. 
I believe in honesty and the importance of showing respect to others, whether they are a different race or sexuality.  I am aware that every human being is different in every way; therefore if a person treats me with respect I will give them the same respect.  I am an avid believer in giving to others who are less fortunate than me.  At some point in every person’s life, they will need help.  Lending a helping hand to people who need it seems natural to me.  I believe there should be a cycle.  If someone needs help, you give it; if you need help someone else should help you. 
In a society that often tries to influence individuals, the greatest feat one can overcome is staying true to oneself.  The media has a way of poisoning individual’s minds into believing they aren’t good enough how they are.  I believe that you decide your own self-worth.  Although I make mistakes, I know that I am a good person.  Neither the media nor any other person will change how I think about myself.  Along with staying true to myself, it is also very important to not let other people influence my beliefs.   I believe in imperfections and flaws.  There isn’t a person in this world that is perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes continually throughout their life.  Judgments shouldn’t be inflicted on someone simply because they make different mistakes than other people.  I think that everyone should embrace their flaws.  Imperfections are what make individuals who they are.  Without mistakes, human beings would all be the same. 
Compassion is a virtue that should be seen as a valuable quality in people.  Although I lack life experience, I know that life can be cold and unfair.  Feeling compassion for others is important because I believe that a person with no compassion for other people is not a very good person.  Having sympathy is second nature.  If you see someone struggling most people have sympathy for that person and show kindness.  If nobody was compassionate, the world would be vastly different.
I have never really put much thought into who I am or what I believe in.  I have many beliefs, but most of them didn’t seem significant enough to describe who I am.  Honesty, compassion, integrity, selflessness and confidence are important qualities to strive for.  However, since I am still young I don’t think I really know who I am yet.  I know what I believe in, but I don’t think putting value on certain qualities or virtues makes me who I am.  I am an eighteen year old, trying to figure out who I am.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karleigh! I enjoyed reading about your convictions and the role your family played in helping you develop those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Karleigh's first essay to her last essay, her vocabulary widened. I really admire her choice of words and how she expresses her self and stays consistent. She doesn't try to pursue you to believe what she believes but simply holds her own opinions and has respect for other people's opinions. Her organization improved too. I enjoy all of her written essays.

    ReplyDelete