Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Profile of Karleigh B., by Samantha




                “I pledge my head to clear thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living. For my club, my community, my country, and my world.” -Otis E. Hall.
                You can hear these words being said by Karleigh if you walked into a 4-H meeting that takes place on a specific date every month. If you were to stand and watch you would see her preform the gestures before the rest of the club. Karleigh has been a part of the Jocko Rangers 4-H Club for 10 years starting when she was in second grade, previous to that in first grade though she was in the Pre Clover Buds unit which basically helps get you ready for 4-H.
                Karleigh has been in many activities within the club. She is in her seventh year of Market Beef, in which she has won awards for reserve champion (1 year), grand champion (1 year), and Steer of Merit (4 years). Karleigh has also won grand champion in one of her two years in the breeding beef category.  To go along with the mentioned tasks Karleigh has also participated in vet science for five years, four years of cooking, three years of sewing, and one year of quilting. Apart from the numerous activities that Ms. Karleigh has done she also has been president, vice president, secretary, and a youth member on the 4-H council where as an older member she sees herself as having a leadership role.  
                For Karleigh 4-H is more than “just a hobby, it is something that my family did forever, it’s what I do. My grandma was once the leader of the club” Karleigh described, “my grandma, my mom, and all my sisters have been involved.” She has also been motivated to continue the program because she thinks it is great, and that it gives you unique opportunities setting you up for your future.  
                Karleigh believes that 4-H has gotten her further in life, because she personally thinks that “kids who are involved in activities are generally more successful in school and life in general.” She also commented that “There is more to 4-H than what people think, you learn to budget money, meet deadlines, and complete community service.”
                When asked “if you had to give one last piece of advice to a younger member what would you tell them?”  Karleigh responded by saying “Don’t forget what 4-H has taught you.” Karleigh also responded that when her 4-H journey comes to an end she was going to “bawl her eyes out!”
                It’s hard to say how we are going to raise our kids before we have them and experience the truth of parenting, but when also asked “are you going to encourage your children to participate in 4-H?” Karleigh answered that “it depends. I can’t see myself living in a ranch home, like where I am now. If I don’t have the resources I can’t see them doing it, so it just depends on how my future goes.”
                On behalf of two younger members in 4-H they have both seen Karleigh as being “one of the only people who has put effort into the club and tries to do really well. She has inspired me to do the same.”  -Alexis & Megan S.
                Mrs. O’Neill the head leader of the 4-H Jocko Rangers Club commented “Karleigh has been a successful leader within the club by helping the younger members and being a great example through the roles of president, vice president, and secretary.”
                “Personally I see Karleigh achieving anything she sets her mind to, because she has had such a great opportunity to already do it through the Arlee Jocko Rangers 4-H Club!” –Sam L.

No comments:

Post a Comment