Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"The Guidelines" Analysis by Reece



Rappers favorite things to brag about are women, money and most of all that they’re the best rapper out there, but they’re way of saying it isn’t very reinforce because saying “I’m the best rapper in the world” doesn’t say much for a valid point. Saying “Evident my embellishment peaks at two ninety two I.Q” (29) “The way I shape this landscape, automatically makes this vivid”(35). Proves a good point that he can be the best rapper through a vivid expression of words. He can take on the shape of anything he wants or needs to be to present his point of being the best through your imagination using wild elements and a contagious flow of words.
Taking shape of objects and situations shows that he can take form of being the best rapper or it can show what he needs to be the best and can transform. “I incubate, every other millennium.” to me this is saying that he’s bringing alive other millenniums, that he might be bringing influences from past millenniums into his work  because to incubate can mean to help bring to life like when a baby is in a incubator or a chicken egg getting incubated so it can hatch.
A flow of words can be persuasive and in this song it’s not hard for me to believe that Aceyalone is easily a great rapper. “I give it a rivet, hold it, stand at the pivot I love it, learn to live it, then give you my exhibit”(36-37) this shows that his way with rhyming words comes easily and almost makes a stain in your mind. In my opinion if someone can leave an imprint in your mind then their good at what they do.  “My attempts to redefine your hip hop guidelines, you can play the sidelines, ride rhymes in your spare time” (100) saying you can play the sidelines is like saying that you’re not good enough to be out on the field were he’s at and ride rhymes in your spare time could be saying that whoever is riding the sideline only rhymes on his spare time, not taking it seriously like a full time job.
                The second this song start the imagery automatically explodes in my mind. “My feet are made of bricks, when I walk my footprints indent cement” (93) it’s like he’s trying to show that were ever he goes he has such a huge impact that his footprints indent cement. “your ashes spark the flashes, of the neon from be-yond, what planet could I be on?”(55) I vision him traveling all over the place and causing a sensation where ever he is. A important factor when you want to make a impression or point to me is imagery when you can interpret a song and imagine it in your head it almost becomes your own in a way, and I feel this way with this song because I see him trying to persuade people all over the place that he’s the best at what he does and is trying to make it his own.
                In a world where rap music has largely become generic, it becomes hard to find a true genuine piece of art work that you can call a song. The guidelines by Aceyalone is in a whole other field of songs because of the fact that he doesn’t has to flat out say I’m the best rapper but instead he can take shape of a place or situation and make you imagine it and because of this it leaves a impression and impressions can live on for ever.   

Hear "The Guidelines" here.    
Read "The Guidelines" here.

1 comment:

  1. Being an old fuddy duddy and a country bumpkin of sorts, I find it so hard to enjoy rap not because of the content nor the music but because of my inability to decipher the actual words themselves let alone the underlying meaning, which I think you have done well, and with some great verbage of your own "makes a stain in your mind" and "automatically explodes in my mind." Now I want to listen to The Guidelines. I hope you enjoyed your assignment as much as I did reading it.

    ReplyDelete