Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Isis" Analysis by Jessica



Song Interpretation 
            There are many ways to interpret songs and there are several different meanings in a song. In my opinion songs are meant for you to understand the lyrics in a way that you can relate to. To me the song “Isis” by Bob Dylan symbolizes how a man’s love never dies.
            In the very first two lines the song state, “I married Isis on the fifth day of May” “But I could not hold on to her very long”.(1-2) As I was reading those lines I instantly thought that he had married his dream girl but couldn’t keep her because something terrible happened or she was no longer living. Further on details had given me more evidence that she was no longer living, in line five he said that he was now in a darker place with no happiness, and very little light. (5) To me these lines suggest that this man is going through some rough times, and his love life has gone downhill very quickly.
            My next pieces of evidence suggest that she has died makes my interpretation very convincing. “How she told me that one day we would meet up again. And things would be different the next time we wed.” (21-22) This stuck out like a sore thumb, heavily hinting that Isis is in another place, for instant Heaven, and that she will marry this man again when he meets up with her there. Also in line 24 Bob had song the line in past tense, I still can’t remember all of the things that she used to say, indicating that she is no longer among us. But yet he is still deeply in love with her and wants to be back with her desperately.
            Lastly in the last few “stanzas” it becomes clear that Isis had passed away and that her lover was finally is reunited with light in their eyes. (43) Coming from the east, going into the light, going to Heaven. Being wedded again. This all leads me to believe that all along he had loved her whether she was there with him or not. But he is reunited in the end with his beloved Isis, his wife.
            Therefore, I am coming to the conclusion that a man’s love never dies. In the beginning of the song he was happy with his marriage but suffered long with drawls losing her. He had never lost his love for her and finished his work down here on earth. And finally he had met up with her at the end of his time, and he and Isis lived their immortality life together. Loving each other to their fullest, because they know their love will never die. 
Read "Isis" lyrics here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment