Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Suicide Note" Analysis by Nakeya



Although the poem “Suicide Note” by Mark Gibbons contains references to death, its main theme is a description of life.
            When there are fires that take the life of bushes, grasses, and trees, there are new reborn lives such as bushes, trees, and grasses that take its place. “I am slick bear grass on an alpine slope (1-2)”. When I hear this quote it reminds me that the new life is taking over the old life. There are also new animals that come to the new life after a fire such as deer and birds. Animals have been able to determine if a forest has life. “… Talons of a red tail hawk. I am cottonwood bark floating in an eddy, a double rainbow (3-6)”.
Music can make your life happier make you feel good. When people make music it really gets into your emotions and really makes people feel like life is going well. “I am music that puts you on the kitchen floor of the house (25-26)”. I think the music makes you dance and your dancing on the kitchen floor.
When people have cancer they have to go through chemotherapy. Cancer victims who have been through chemotherapy often have a more positive outlook on life. Chemotherapy saves lives.” I am chemotherapy (30-31)”.
 “I am fresh turned dirt (17)”. When I read this line it reminds me of a grave getting dug up. The dirt from the earth is getting turned so that it buries the person who died. Or it could mean when you are planting life such as plants you are turning the dirt over.
No matter how you interpret this poem, it best fits for it being called life. Life can be read in so many ways the title “Suicide Note” does not mean that it describes death. It could be an opening into a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment