Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sam L



Mascots
          Colleges and universities are not only known for their academics. You don't see people wandering around wearing department shirts to support their institution. Everywhere you look you can pick out at least one person wearing a team logo or a team’s name. Think about the feelings that would arise if you found out that a favorite team of yours had to change their name and mascot due to its meaning. For the students attending the University of North Dakota this is an issue they had to face.
          A couple of years ago the University of North Dakota went through a lawsuit because of their school mascot the 'Fighting Sioux'. Some of the Sioux tribes thought that the name was disrespectful, and critics even viewed the name racially offensive. Although isn’t the opposite. Would it not be better to have a mascot that originates from a strong source? I believe it makes more sense, to be nationally recognized than hidden in the shadows. Unfortunately not everyone thinks this way.
          Personally I could not sit here and choose a side. I wasn't able to make up my mind whether i would be okay with changing a team’s name and mascot or keep it for its history's sake. So I sought others for answers. When it comes down to it everybody has their own interpretation of things. What one person may say is disrespectful and racist may mean honor and admiration to someone else. i, like many of the UND students am proud of my mascot. Gina Anderson a UND senior said "When the Fighting Sioux lawsuit came about, I had never really thought one way or the other about the nickname, it was a nickname just as any other. But once people started making such a big deal out of it, I became very defensive over the name. I am proud to be a 'Fighting Sioux,' and I think the majority of the campus would agree with me that the name should stay." Just because a few individuals do not agree with the name does not mean that it should be taken away from everybody else. Another senior who attended the North Dakota State University commented "I feel the name change is completely unnecessary. The 'Fighting Sioux' name should be looked upon as a compliment. The name reflects power and pride. I never understood why the name was considered offensive, and I don't think I ever will." -Amanda Booke.
          Although the pros of this situation outweigh the cons, you still have to stop and think where do you draw the line. If the name 'Fighting Sioux' is really racist towards the tribes’ heritage should the University continue to use it and truly disrespect the Sioux Nation?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the logos and the pride some of the schools take in them. I understand that whole heartily as I graduated from Northern Montana College, Havre. Now with the Board of Regents around 10 years ago they rearranged some of the schools to connect them to the Montana University systems. A good idea to make credits transfer and make schools more evenly spaced out for the departments they offer, however they had to take it further to sell it to the bigger schools. Now my college is MSU Norothern. This name almost gags me to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your points in this essay, I to don't believe we should just change history or the mascot to please people. Where do we draw the line? Thats a question I have also. This whole mascot deal will always upset people, but the thing is we cant please everyone.

    ReplyDelete